Wednesday 12 June 2013

Cashew 'Cheese'

This week I was looking for a recipe to make 'Cheese Whiz' and as I was looking I came across a cheese alternative.  It had never occurred to me that I could make a fake cheese.  I found this recipe for a soy and dairy free 'cheese'.  I read it and thought, "this looks easy."  So, I started looking for raw cashews.  They had them at Friendly Bulk Foods here in town for a lot cheaper than at Superstore.  I measured out the cashews that I would need,
added water,
and left them to sit in my fridge for the weekend.
On Monday, I took them out, rinsed them, and put them in the blender along with the other ingredients (sorry, I forgot to take pictures).  Then I blended them.  A powerful blender is almost a must.  I had no cheesecloth so I used a fairly thin dish towel to hung it to drain.  After 24 hours approx I took it out of the dishtowel and 
here is my 'cheese'.  
I put it in a dish
and put it into the fridge.  
It isn't exactly like cheese, but it is fairly smooth and creamy, has a bit of tang, and tastes pretty good.  I've tried it on a sandwich with lettuce and tomato and I enjoyed it. I will probably make it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment